Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Will an external hard drive store and run my cumputer programs in case it crashes.?

Will an External Hard Drive run and store my cumputer programs in case my cumputer crashes, and if not , what alternative do I have. ThanksWill an external hard drive store and run my cumputer programs in case it crashes.?
It is possible. You would either have to 'clone' the external drive or format and install the same programs and copy data to the external hd. A better way is to install 2 internal hdd's and mirror them or set up a raid disk array.Will an external hard drive store and run my cumputer programs in case it crashes.?
I have never done that before, but it sounds kind of risky because external hard drives generally run off USB 2 and its one thing to store files on them. Its another to run an operating system. I also am not sure that your computer will recognize that as the primary drive. I say you either back up your very important files to the external and make sure you have copies of the programs. This way if the drive fails you can migrate the files over and reinstall the programs. Or you can create a Raid stripe which will make your 1st hard drive look exactly like your 2nd hard drive. That is what I do. I have a program that does all the work for me and updates the changes I made daily.
External are not to have a program installed. it is matter fact good for back up files.





you can use the external drive to back up any software you have there and installed it back in case the other drives crashes.





speaking of system crash, if the problem keeps on going, try to reformat the whole system.
it will store them but not run them

No comments:

Post a Comment