Saturday, August 21, 2010

How hard are third semster language classes (in this case German?)?

I am enrolling into third semester german (Intermediate I) without having ever taken a german class. I am studying on my own a lot this summer, but was wondering, in general, what level of proficiency I should hope to reach in order to be comfortable in the class. Obviously studying on my own is not very productive and does not help my communication skills, but it is all I can do for now due to financial constraints.How hard are third semster language classes (in this case German?)?
It would probably be pretty hard if you're doing it yourself, because you won't have practice having conversations, which is usually expected at that level. You should be able to read simple stories, and write and speak at some level without using English. I'd recommend going through MIT's online German I and II, because those should at least make sure you're at the right level.





http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/courses/co鈥?/a>How hard are third semster language classes (in this case German?)?
I did the exact same thing, except with Spanish, and it was more of an immersion class. What I tried to study was the different verb tenses, almost all aspects of grammar, and I tried to learn new vocabulary. However, that's not enough. Try to pick up some slang and different colloquial sayings. Not only do you need to speak, but you also have to learn and recognize what people are saying.





Since your class isn't the immersion kind, I assume they'll speak in English. However, these are some tips for you. Hope they help.

No comments:

Post a Comment