Saturday, August 21, 2010

My transfer case on my 94 grand cherokee is pretty much shot. is it hard to replace?

are there any special tools needed. I know the model but I'm not sure about the installation of the transfer case. are is there any thing that needs to be done once a new/rebuilt case is installed?My transfer case on my 94 grand cherokee is pretty much shot. is it hard to replace?
a lot easier than you think. the dealer offers a factory rblt. for afew hundred more than a boneyard unit, which is probably as bad as the one you are replacing. as for replacement, un-bolt frt%26amp;rear shafts, drain, unplug connectors, remove bolts holding case to trans,remove shift lever, (top bolts arent fun but do-able,just have patience). BEFORE YOU BEGIN, there is a weep hole in the housing betwwen the trans and transfer case. if there is any sign of fluid leakage at that point, replace that seal. most transfer case failures are a result of fluid loss from that seal. also, dont tear the new seal setting the transfer case into place.the unit only holds about 1-2qts atf, so it cant afford to leak much. feel free to contact me if you have questionsMy transfer case on my 94 grand cherokee is pretty much shot. is it hard to replace?
A 9/16 wobbly socket and ratchet wrench are a big help. Unbolting the crossmember and letting everything hang down a bit really helps with the mounting nuts access~Dan
You can also have a truck or transmission shop rebuild yours or one from a junkyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment